Contributors

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Back to School!!

You know how in August or September there is a run on backpacks, pencils, lunch boxes, markers, notebooks, folders, and all things school related in the United States?? Well, in China there is a similar run but it occurs during Chinese New Year. Every store has tons of school supplies at this time. Walmart's entire office section was empty when I went to get something last weekend before school started on Feb 22.

My new school is nice. It isn't staffed with teachers who I cannot understand and the desks don't have the hardest chairs ever. So even though it isn't a terrible entity I am really going to miss my old school. I hope that I can have a good friendship with my teacher, Liu Wei Wei, as well as with my fellow students, Sarah, Nick, and David, but my classroom atmosphere is to learn not to befriend and sometimes I wonder if this will be a struggle for me.

I am learning characters now and I really like learning them, however, they make my hands cramp as well as my brain hurt in a different way than just learning to speak them. Tomorrow I have a dictation test. Where Liu laoshi speaks and I write what I hear in characters. I am very glad that I purchased those 888 most used Chinese character flash cards before I left the States.

Not much to say, but I wanted to all to know that I am still working hard and thinking of you all.

5 comments:

PegS said...

Denise, thank you for even this little update. It encourages me to think about you more! And don't think that friendship making is some how beyond why you are there. I am sure that daily you are reflecting the Father to even these new friends. And that is so good! Keep at it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend, "Back to school" days always fill me with mixed emotions of nervous anticipation and an urge to flee! My latest learning experience has been the new computerized version of ACLS recertification. It seemed to take a very long time but I felt like I learned a lot and it was scored completely on my responses instead of the team-based testing we had used. My meditation the last few days has been "Winter is Not Forever." Love you!

Nikki Moore said...

888 MOST USED characters -- wow! You are truly learning something incredible. You have to be so gifted to be able to learn this.

You make friends easier than most people I know. I know you will always have friends. Thinking of you often...
Nikki (& Justin)

Jill said...

Denise,
I'm thinking about you and lifting you. You're on such an adventure!!

Before reading this blog entry I was talking with Dad about you this morning, and thinking about the process of adapting: getting through the mundane to the joy of fruit and true service. I know this is your end-goal, to work with the people, the hurting, those needing some light. And maybe you feel a little bogged down sometimes, but it is indeed a PROCESS that you will be intentionally brought through. Dad has you in mind and he will birth you into the glory!

Nikki Moore said...

Denise - just wanted to let you know I got your beautiful card and letter this past week, and have been waiting for a chunk of time to write back properly. I haven't gotten it yet, but I just thought you should know that I received it and it blessed my day. Thanks and love ya!

Nikki