Contributors

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Official November Newsletter!!

Give Thanks in all situations. In Good and in Bad.

Salutations!!

As I write this letter I have only been here 8 days. But you are reading this, just days before or after Thanksgiving. I envy your holiday cheer, your bellies full of turkey and mashed potatoes, and your familial comfort. Yet, despite this envy I would not wish myself to be there with you. I am so thankful and delighted to be here in the land of Moon Cakes.

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the peoples rejoice.

The Hard present gives me: patience to see what I can learn from those in my sphere of reference, hope that I will not always be helpless to do activities of daily life, and joy in the observation of those around me, and ultimately the privilege of becoming once more like a child experiencing the little things of life and relishing them as great achievements. I am quickly learning that when you rely on others to help you accomplish your daily tasks everything takes twice as long.

The Good future looks bright. I can see it shining ahead all the speaking, reading, and writing tasks ahead. Hopefully within the next two weeks I will be in school of some sort. I hope that by the time you hold this in your hand I am speaking more and going to and fro more confidently. I would like to introduce to you my new motto: “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven.” John 3:27 This gets me through the day. I have been placed here through your generosity and conviction and ultimately by God.

I delight to tell you that as I enter language school I see it as a gift and a responsibility. I do not take it lightly. I will diligently learn so that I may effectively help those I come to help. Please hold me up in this task. I cannot do it in my own strength. Ask me what I am learning. So in keeping with my commitment to you let me tell you what I have learned so far.

Today: I learned how to make tomato soup from scratch, I do not have the cord that will transfer pictures taken on my cell phone to my computer, and that underwear can be purchased in the same place as shredded pork and candied melons. Yesterday: balancing on the back of a bike is tricky and that you can buy a week’s worth of vegetables for little over a dollar. Last Week: I learned that it is important to unplug the drain in the bathroom floor before you take a shower, plugging an appliance into the outlet may not be enough-you may also have to turn the outlet on, dvds from the united states do not play in all dvd players, and my textured flip flops have no traction on marble steps in the rain.

Thank you so very much for being a huge part in all of this. I will continue to tell you how things are going here. Your words of encouragement have been so touching.
Love, Denise

5 comments:

natalie said...

hey friend! glad to hear the school is coming along and starting to make sense. how long do you typically study each day? sounds like you've been learning a lot more than language- hope the flip flops wasn't a painful lesson! i remember trying to walk in flip flops in the rain in scotland with nikki. we didn't get far before i decided to run back for my tennies:)

ps space heaters are the best!

Jill said...

Lifting you today. I know how it feels to be so far from family on holidays, but to have two homes (so that either place you are, your heart yearns for the other). May you rejoice that you are ultimately, where ever you go, an alien and a stranger.

Nikki Moore said...

We just got this in the mail yesterday! :) We pray for you often. Did you do anything for thanksgiving? Like make yourself a feast?

natalie, i thought of that too! rain + flip flops = bad idea :)

lavonne said...

OK... now I'm getting it. I have posted 3 notes to you, but I'm still learning. SORRY! Good to see your face and hear about your adventures. We love you, lavonne

lavonne said...

HEY... it worked!!! YAY!!!!! YIPPEE!!! It's great to be in touch with you dear! We miss your smile and touch! Please know that we think of you so often and always love hearing about your happenings! We are excited about your upcoming announcement of being an AUNT. We think of Ben & Molly all the time - and look forward to Henry's arrival! We love you and send HUGS. lavonne