Contributors

Friday, October 15, 2010

Blog post 1 about the Fabulous Summer of 2010!!



I owe you all a deep apology. I have been lax in my communication. Busyness has consumed me but that is not an adequate excuse. Only a bad one. Please forgive me.

Many things have been happening on this side of the world. I have not reported to you about my summer holiday in the states and I have been re-enrolled in school and trying to figure out this new roll I am in. For I am no longer a newbie but still do not feel like I know what is going on. So let me begin.

(Jill arrived the end of July and we had an eventful and fruitful time traveling as well as just being together.)



(Jill Brought with her life size photo's of My Family. Here I am with them. Ben holding Henry, Molly, Mom, and Dad)




(Squeezing Henry's little cheeks even before I got to hold him)



(I am so excited because my family is here for dinner)

Jill was able to continue to train for her marathon while here, which kinda made me nervous but she is a bold and beautiful woman who every morning before 6am would set out alone in a different direction to run. We made our way to Dali and the Stone Forest. I introduced her to jiao zi (pot stickers) and she fell in love with them.

I impressed her with my limited amount of Chinese and I was pleased to find that when she spoke Chinese I could tell when she was correct and when she was not. (tone wise) We discovered that the ice rink in Kunming is not as impressive as it appears and that Jill doesn’t like sushi. We shopped until our arms were filled with good things. But mostly Jill was able to see what China is really like, who the people are who live here (both international and national), and experience what I experience every day.


(We ate Er Kuai [pronounced R Ke-why] a morning street food that is kind of like a peanut butter burrito.)



(My favorite Tibetan Restaurant has a cultural dance and music program and Jill caught some of my favorite dancers beautifully.)


(The man in the fur hat is my favorite male performer. The custom at this restaurant is that when you particularly enjoy a performer you are to place a white scarf around their neck while they are still dancing or singing. I always call dibs to give my scarf to him.)




(Jill and I chilling out while watching the wonderful performers.)




(Paper Christmas tree posted on the wall in the mall.)





(The McDonald's China man)



(Eating Shao Kao [street barbaque])



(Jill and I went to this upscale Spa in Kunming)














(The Spa provided us with clothes to wear while we were there. Arn't we cute?)



(This is my school.)

(The closest coffee shop to my house is called Chicago Coffee and it was a very popular place for me and Jill.)



(Jill using the coffee shop library- thank you fellow foreigners for The Babysitters Club.)

(The large cookie at Chicago Coffee.)



Coffee, Coffee, Coffee!!!



(Some public Restaurants here in Kunming have signs in the bathroom say: no pooping and toilet paper. The toilet paper rule is universal here, but the number two is specific to certain stores.)


(The women in Yunnan carry their babies or children on their backs with these child carriers. This one I purchased for Molly and Henry-that story for another blog.)


(We went to the Stone Forest and got lost in the large maze among the giant rocks. I think we are looking for a way out.)





(This rock is called "Woman Waiting For Her Husband." Thus, so are we!)







(The Forest stretches out behind us!!)








(Here in Kunming there are a small number of Mid-Westerners from the States and we planned and participated in a State Fair.)



(Jill won first prize for her Largest Zucchini. I won second prize for my North Park Pride crochet blanket.)



(The Judges of the Fair Produce Categories.)





(Angie, Erin, Whitney, Me and Jill at the "Fair Grounds!")


(On the top of the Ferris Wheel is: Jill, Me, Faye, Whitney and Erin.)







(The public parks here are filled with odd sights and funny events. On Saturdays many old men congregate with their captive birds and sit and talk and play mazhong. )




(This is Kunming International School where the Hong's kid's go to school. I tried to tempt Jill into leaving her new job and coming to work here. Anyone else who wants to teach internationally just let me know.)

(Faith, Erin, Me, Bo, Song, and Caleb)



(We traveled to Dali and Jill became friends with a young deaf woman. Jill was able to communicate with her using American Sign Language. It was so precious. Gao cried.)



(We bought and ate bicycle made cotten candy.)


(In Dali, we went fishing using cormorants. These birds are trained to dive into the water, catch a fish and bring it back to their trainers. The birds are rewarded for the fish and thus fighting between birds for the fish does ensue.)




























(Erin and Jill hiked up Dali Mountain.)



(Jill was interested in seeing a traditional Chinese cupping massage, my friend Nick agreed to have one done. The massage technician used heat inside glass cups to create suction and hypothetically draw out the bad blood into the skin and have the toxins released from the body.)








(Peanut Butter and dill pickles: special foods brought to me by Jill. Here we are having a picnic on the bus on the way to Dali.)




(Jill and I enjoyed bus chair dancing on the way to Dali.)









(Jill and I went to an outdoor museum that details the different minority groups that live in Yunnan Provience. Then we went to the giant musical dance performance of them all.)













(Us at the Ice Skating Rink.)



(On the double decker bus after a long day of shopping!!)
















All your thoughts, notes, gifts, and hugs that Jill brought with her just meant the world to me.
Thank you!!

Stay tuned for a blog about my trip back home!!

2 comments:

PegS said...

Wow! I think I'm ready to come over and experience all of this!! Are you tour guides now?? Seriously, I'm so glad you were cheered and encouraged by this special friend.

Unknown said...

Friend-
I love all of your pictures and seeing a part of what life is like for you in China. It made me excited about the next adventures that the Father has planned for me too. I heard Him whisper, "We aren't finished yet." I smiled. Love you.