Contributors

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Blog post 2 about the Fabulous Summer of 2010!!


"My Nephew Henry" is one of my favorite topics and my trip home had lots of Henry. So, Be warned!!

This was how I have been able to keep in contact with Henry since his birth.




And while I thank Father for Skype, it isn't really how you want to meet your first nephew.

Ben and Molly will be so proud that they two feature so much in these skype snapshots.




There is just not enough space to write all my feelings about my time at home. It was one of those unexpected joys in life. I had prepared myself for not returning home until the summer of 2011 or later. I had said goodbye to everyone and had made some hard decisions about what to do if anything tragic were to happen to those I loved. I had told my mom that there were a few events that would bring me home and those were: If my brother got married, if a select few of my friends got married, and if either of my family of three (Mom, Dad, and Ben) were to suffer a life threatening accident and were hospitalized. I am so very thankful that Ben's Wedding is the reason I got to come home this past summer.

It was also delightful that Jill was here and I could fly back to America with her. I will tell you that flying 15 hour plane ride with a dear friend is so much better than by one's self. So, Jill and I returned together to the USA. I am not ashamed to admit that my number one song on my returning to the US playlist on my iPod was: Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus. We did indeed land in LAX and I determined and succeeded in playing the song as we disembarked.

Jill and I had a very eventful trip and we were very happy to back in the United States. And while Jill safely made it back to Texas, my airport dramas had just begun. We landed in LA and the customs process took longer than the three hours layover I had. Therefore, I was placed on standby for the next flight from LA to Chicago. This normally is not a big deal. Except on Aug 3, 2010. On this day the President had taken a trip to Chicago and all the flights going into Chicago that morning were canceled and all the passengers from those three flights were also on standby on all the other Chicago flights. I was one of 22 people on standby on the fourth standby flight I waited for. And I was not first priority.

In the end, my dad came to the rescue. He called the Airline and asked them if I could take a flight to a different port and then fly to Chicago. The wonderful lady and a wonderful man in LA were able to transfer me from LA to Boston to Chicago and I got to Chicago 16 hours after my original flight plan. Needless to say I was tired and ready to not be in an airport or in a plane. Funny or not the first place my parents took me was the grocery store. I went a little crazy. I think we brought 6 or 7 different kinds of chips home with us. It was a sensory overload of possibilities.

After stopping at the store we drove to Molly and Ben's new apartment located in Chicago just across the street from North Park Covenant. It was a little like going home even though I had never lived there. For those of you who do not know about North Park or Chicago let me tell you a little about it. I went to Nursing School at North Park University (NPU) located in Chicago. So I did live there for four years, however, North Park Covenant is a church that is very close to NPU and now Ben and Molly live there on NPU campus housing because Molly is also going to Nursing School there!!! I am so very proud and excited to have her going to my Alma mater.

So we arrive at the apartment and out of the front door comes my brother holding Henry and Molly holding a camera. It was one of those moments that is just so precious. I got to see my little nephew for the first time in person. I was there only hours after he was born and I have talked to him countless hours before on Skype but this was us in the flesh. He was so very quiet and observing because he had just woken up from his nap but he let me hold him.

Most of you have nieces or nephews or even better children of your own and I won't insult you by posting my personal feelings about Henry, but I have such a hard time understanding how we as mortals can possibly feel so strongly about someone who isn't ourselves. Every moment I spent with him I wanted to spend more time with him. Ok, enough gushing.

The next two days were filled with wedding prep and problem solving. On Aug 5th we headed out to the wedding site and had the most laid back, care free, and fun rehearsal I have ever partaken in. We ate the rehearsal dinner at Giordano's and I was in Cheese Heaven.

At the rehearsal dinner we were each asked to shared a favorite story about Ben or Molly or both of them. I can’t really remember what most people shared except Ali, the photographer, she shared with everyone that when she first met Ben and he found out that she was a photographer he told her that he knew of a wedding she could photo. When she asked whose, he replied mine. When Ali asked him when the wedding was he said August and she asked how long he had been engaged. He answered that he wasn’t yet. Ali then asked him if Molly knew there was going to be a wedding in August. He then proceeded to tell Ali, his and Molly’s story. He ended their conversation with something like: And she is the one I want to be with. That story was so refreshing for me to hear as I have been away during the majority of Ben and Molly’s relationship. As Ben’s older sister I am so glad and happy for my brother to have Molly in his life.


By August 6th 2010 there was indeed a wedding.

And What a Wedding it Was!!!! Please feel free to visit Kavod Photography's website to see the official and professional pictures. If you click on the Prints link it will take you to the various albums Kavod has done. Ben and Molly have two albums.

The wedding day was beautiful. The weather was perfect. Warm and sunny with a beautiful blue sky. The wedding was held outside in a park in Barrington, Il. The set up at the park began early but I was given a special task of running to stores to pick up last minute forgotten items. So, my cousin Kristin, my friend Lisa and I drove all over the suburbs of Chicago looking for various specific items. We finally got finished, made it back to the Hotel, helped bathe Henry, and got ready ourselves. We then drove to the site and helped to put the finishing touches on certain items.

Ben’s best friend, Andrew and I were given a special task to take Ben away from the business and talk to him about this giant step he was about to take. However, we failed in that task because Ben is a perfectionist and wouldn’t leave the set up. It was touch and go for a moment but we all finally made it out to the little gazebo to breath before walking.

We had a very long walk to walk down before getting to the ceremony spot. The golden hued wood of the rented chairs gave an earthy feel to the bright green grass and the giant tree we all stood under. I had the privilege to join Ben’s best friend Andrew as well as Henry as Ben’s best groom’s maid. Henry tried to eat my flowers, which ultimately was my fault because I was tempting him with them.

Annie, the officiate, is a very good friend of Ben and Molly and she did a wonderful job. She told me that she had told Ben and Molly that she was nervous because it would be her first wedding and they told her that it was their first wedding too so that they were all in the same place. She was able to share prayers that she prayed for both of them before they were dating. It was very precious. I felt like I was in the company of many saints who have all been given a great gift-to see their prayers answered.

Seeing all of my extended family who were able to be there was just wonderful. I felt like I was pulled in so many different ways that I wasn’t able to spend the quality time I wanted to with them, but even able to hug them was nice.

Ben and Molly took a two night honeymoon at a place in Chicago and we (being my mom, my dad, Lisa, and I) got to take care of Henry for one of those nights. It was so great. Now to be fair, he at that time was not used to going to bed without his mommy, but other than that stressful event having him all to ourselves was wonderful. He is a small bundle of uncontrolled energy just waiting to spill out all over everything. Of course at that time he couldn’t walk yet. But by the time I left he could kinda walk. So awesome!!!

So Ben and Molly came home on the Sunday after their wedding and they were way earlier than we expected and the reason they gave was that “Ben wanted to check on their little boy.” Isn’t that hilarious and awesome?

When we got back to Molly and Ben's place we watched them open wedding gifts and also did some home shopping with them. We took turns babysitting Henry and letting them go out and look at home furnishings by themselves and all piling into the car and shopping together. They found some great deals and have furnished their apartment very cozily.

The weekend before I came back to Kunming I was visited by four dear friends from Lincoln. My dear friend's Nikki and Justin Moore and Natalie and Chris Peterson drove up to see me. It was a quick but much appreciated trip to me. To see them as well as to hear about home happenings. I gave them a tour of North Park and the surroundings as well as blabbered on and on about how much the area had changed. Pictures of this lovely event can be found at Nikki Moore's Photography Site.

I got to see my dear friend Katie and sadly I have no pictures of that sweet time, but we did babysit Henry one night together.

Saying goodbye was not as hard as I had expected. It wasn't easy but it all happened so fast that I didn't even have a chance to cry until I was on the plane across the ocean. I enjoyed seeing my baby brother being a responsible and accomplished adult with more important things to do than play video games or watch t.v. to the wee hours of the morning with his sister. A bitter sweet realization. It was precious to spend time with Molly and Henry for such a concentrated amount. But I also recognized that they needed me to leave so that they could begin a normal existence as a family.

All in All my trip home was low key and not very exciting, except for the wedding part, Baby Henry part, all the love and hugs I got from friends and family part, and the abundance of American food.

Finally, in Chicago!!


We are just so glad to see one another, we might just cry!!! I don't think we did though.


I have so much to say and it is so glad to talk face to face instead of skype to skype.


I am really here, on the United States soil!!! Here I am!!


My luggage beat me to Chicago. We were not sure if it made it at all or not. Thankfully it did!!


This was shortly after I met and held Henry for the first time.

He obviously adores me!!!




The Pictures speak for themselves that I adore him as well!!!



Then Aunt Kate arrived and Aunt Denise had to share. But that was okay because Aunt Kate is cool!!

I gifted them with china/pottery from China and here is the only picture of it. The glass.


The women in China carry their babies and even larger children on their backs. I was fortunate enough to find one to buy for Molly and Henry. Isn't he adorable??




However, it turned out that Henry really hated it. Molly said that he was pushing his feet against her back the whole time and he finally managed to wiggle his way out the bottom. Maybe not the safest way to carry Henry!!


The rehearsal's long walk.


Andrew and Henry keeping my attention during the rehearsal.


They didn't say "I do" but they did say "tomorrow I will."


We are plotting something. I mean you put the four of us together something is bound to happen.


Don't mistake my face, I was enjoying the meal enormously!! Annie, Ben and Molly's dear friend and officiate, sat next to me and we had pleasant conversation also.

See how much I am enjoying my time??


The "A" Team is here and we are ready to GO!!


The ceremony begins!!




Henry was patient and compliant for a short while.


However, once vows were spoken and he could hear mom and dad's voices he had had enough and Andrew passed him off to his wife.






Man and Wife!!


Family Picture!!


Me and My Best Friend!!!


Party Time!! Karaoke was a big part of the Reception.


Rhonda and Jerry!!


Mom and Me being weird. Cuz we are.

Ben and Molly had Henry's dedication during their wedding reception. It was very lovely.



Dad and I are two of a kind, as you can see from these following photos.



Look out world.


The Boys!!


My Aunt Janice, Uncle Richard, and cousin Pamela.

My family plus Aunt Jeanette and Uncle Ralph.


Me and My Sister!!!! Thank you Molly for being such a wonderful one!!!


Bath time with Grandma and Grandpa!!!



When Ben couldn't stay away from Henry any longer!!!


Opening Wedding Gifts!!


Story time with Grandpa!!


Denise tried to make Chicken Curry Soup for everyone, sadly it tastes better in China. That is saying something...just not sure what.


Lisa, Molly, and Denise are so tired and giggly while watching Ben and Jerry put furniture together.


We all were just sitting there making commentary and just laughing.




Molly, Henry, and I visited Ben at work and took a play break.








I am tired and no one will hold me, I am so angry at you all.


Picture with Grandma and Aunt Denise.







I am a giant baby!!


Henry absolutely loves it when Molly or Ben does this to him. He gets all quiet and when they put him down he just grins and grins.




This face is a common one that Henry gives people, I imagine he is trying to figure out the best way to attack them.








Henry Walked by himself while I was there and I felt very blessed to be a part of that, especially now that he is a walking, climbing, running maniac.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Great post and pics, Denise! Love little Henry.

Jasmer's said...

This was one mother of an update, Denise! I'm so honored to have been a part of it all & it's still a whirlwind in my mind to think that you & I were hanging out less than 3 months ago! I miss you & love you so much. Henry & I had a little photo session today & I'm going to try & post those for you in the next couple of days.
Thanks for all your hardwork that made our wedding happen!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Denise, your post and pictures of all were GREAT!!!! Wished we could have seen you when you were back here in the states. Love and miss you!!!!

Aunt Phyllis

Doug Sprecher said...

Thanks Denise for sharing your photos and blogs detailing your journey and experiences from far abroad. Be well and safe! Hope to see you on your next trip to the States.

Best, Doug