Contributors

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Water Project Work





After being back to Kunming for a month, I am ready to share about my wonderful time in the village. It was phenomenal. The work was intense and concentrated so it was hard for two days and then we mostly played. We sat in the homes of the villagers and talked with them about what the new water system will mean to them. The ways in which their lives will be changed and impacted because of this clean water system. It was really wonderful to just sit with them. The most I gained from this trip was the encouragement to keep plugging away at my language learning. I didn't feel completely helpless and in fact was able to communicate with some of the more educated children relatively well. And not that children don't matter, because we all know that they do, but it reminded me that my language skills need to be notched up a level. Thus, I have been reevaluating my school and my study skills. I discussed with a colleague, who has been studying and working in China or with Chinese speakers for 14 years, and he suggested that I return to a one on one teaching relationship in order to gain the proficiency I desire. He encouraged me though by saying that if I hadn't told him I had only been in China for a year he would have guessed by my language usage that I had been here at least 2. So that made me really happy.









I think the two parts of the trip that I enjoyed the most were when a young girl about 10 asked me to tell her a story and I got to tell her the story of the Great Teacher and the little children through an interpreter. The second was when we interviewed a very old lady about her life and we asked lots of hygiene and health related questions. I realized that just sitting with someone and asking those kind of questions give a huge view into a person's life and their own desires and hopes for themselves and their loved ones and I it was right there that I realized I enjoyed research-especially this kind. Person to person research. We were doing this kind of interview through interpreters again, and I had a sudden desire to be able to do such a intense conversation with someone on my own.





Now we did dig trenches along the mountain side in order to bury the water pipes running from the clean water source (about 5 kilometers away) to each village home. This village had 42 households and about 153 people living in it. They had a water system that was built about 3 years ago but the amount of water it supplied the village was not sufficient for all the households and would run dry completely three months out of the year. The non-profit organization I volunteered with to help with this project is called CWEF.

3 comments:

PegS said...

What joy to see you doing the things I've been thinking about!! I'm so glad and happy and will tell Father that! Keep at it and don't get discouraged. You can see progress.

Tom said...

Always good to see your updates and love the pictures. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Denise,it's always a joy to follow your happenings. This one seemed especially poignant since quite a few in our ch- are involved in water projects and they've helped us understand what a basic need water is--and how often not available.

You are in our thoughts often. May the Christmas season be joyful and fruitful for you.

By the way, congrats on the language learning. Good job!

D & M