1. If you arrive earlier than your appointment, they can fit you in earlier.
2. You have to sit on a cold surface.
3. You get scrutinized by a man or woman who has higher credentials than you.
4. Your name gets called into the waiting room and you still jump like you have done something wrong.
2. You have to sit on a cold surface.
3. You get scrutinized by a man or woman who has higher credentials than you.
4. Your name gets called into the waiting room and you still jump like you have done something wrong.
Here are the four ways the Chengdu American Consulate is not like going to the doctor:
1. Your appointment lasts only 10 min.
2. All the doors are opened by armed men. (in this instance Chinese Military)
3. You have to wear a guest pass.
4. All your belongings had to be left at the front gate.
2. All the doors are opened by armed men. (in this instance Chinese Military)
3. You have to wear a guest pass.
4. All your belongings had to be left at the front gate.
Four things you may not know about consulates or renewing a passport:
1. I didn't see one American Marine at the Chengdu American Consulate.
2. To petition for a non-citizen relative, such as a husband or adopted child, finger prints and lots of paperwork is needed.
3. Consulates are not all knowing or the final authority. Some things need to be validated by the State of Florida and then the Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.
4. A renewed passport will have a new number, but they give you back your old one so you can use the current visa and if you have booked flights using the number from the old one.
2. To petition for a non-citizen relative, such as a husband or adopted child, finger prints and lots of paperwork is needed.
3. Consulates are not all knowing or the final authority. Some things need to be validated by the State of Florida and then the Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.
4. A renewed passport will have a new number, but they give you back your old one so you can use the current visa and if you have booked flights using the number from the old one.
Four things I am thankful for about the American Consulate"
1. The office clerk (is this the appropriate term for a consulate worker?) was very patient and kind. He answered all my stupid questions and allowed me to leave to retrieve the passport pictures I left in my bag that the gate guards made me leave at the front gate.
2. The fee to renew a passport was less than I anticipated and I was able to pay in RMB.
3. There was one chair left in the waiting area for me to sit one while waiting.
4. People smiled at me.
2. The fee to renew a passport was less than I anticipated and I was able to pay in RMB.
3. There was one chair left in the waiting area for me to sit one while waiting.
4. People smiled at me.
Now, I wait. I was told that it would take 7-10 days for my passport to be processed and that the Consulate would email me. So for the next 10 days I will bide my time in Chengdu. When I return to pick up my passport I will see if any additional observations crop up.
2 comments:
So glad you have time to blog about this adventure! Will be reminding Father of your "free" time and your visa to arrive quickly. Also enjoyed your cookie capades! They sound a lot like my first cookies here.
I love hearing your adventures... can't wait for the next one. You do keep a journal - don't you??
Hang in there and enjoy the sites of Chengdu... we'll take it to Father and time will fly fast for you. :)
Post a Comment