So this lovely Friday I have been preparing for this evening's event, a cookie exchange. It has been a very very trying adventure. I usually only bake one of about five different items and although they are delicious, none of them would be classified as Christmas. So I searched high and low for Christmasy cookie recipes. So technically it is my own fault that this day has been so hectic for everyone knows that you never use a recipe for a public event that you haven't tried at home first.
So my first great disaster was the Easy Coconut Macaroon recipe. The only ingredients were shredded coconut, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and almond extract. Mix and spoon drop on to greased pan and bake. Sounds so very easy. So I followed directions and instead of the beautiful light brown mounds emerging from my oven I got flattened out gooeyness with burned bottoms. No one wants to eat those, so I made an emergency call to Kristi and she suggested I add an egg white to the remaining mixture. I did and the remaining mix made 6 beautiful macaroons. Not really enough for a cookie exchange, but enough to take and eat.
The second almost disaster was a Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookie. It was so runny that I had no hopes that it would solidify into cookies that one could actually eat, but they sort of did. Each cookie is a little more sticky than I had hoped, but they will do.
The third disaster slash mistake was my Oreo Snow Balls. Everything was going well until I began to melt the white chocolate to dip them into. This is when you realize that shelf life of products does matter. For when I tried to melt the first package of chocolate in the microwave instead of melting it sort of crumbled into a pile of white crumbly stuff and then proceeded to burn. It was really gross. So I used the other package on the stove this time and had a relatively good amount to use for half of the balls I had made. Once it was all used up I had to use the baker's chocolate. I forgot that it was unsweetened. So the other half of the snow balls are very dark chocolate flavored. I will take them to the party but will have to warn everyone regarding dark dirty snow balls.
My fourth disaster, Mocha Crinkles, will be the least noticeable at the party. Something went terribly wrong with the dough. It was supposed to be kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until firm and able to mold into balls. I kept it there over night, assuming that more hours would mean firmer dough. However, it was the most sticky dough ever and it was disgusting. I had to put it in the freezer for several hours and then could only roll four cookies at a time before re-freezing it. It was a very slow process. The end result isn't too bad though.
I am finished and awaiting the time to go to the party and I am tired. And my baking self esteem is a little low. Tragic.
4 comments:
i've had a terrible time baking this last week too! just ask chris:) wish we could do it together... maybe another year!
oops, that was from me:)
LOL, that sounds like a few other experiments you've done in the past. Sorry you had a frustrating time! Love you anyway!
baked all day with two of my daughters and granddaughters. the results didn't turn out like they usually do. the cut-out sugar cookies were too hard, or spread out on the pan, or made with wheat flour. they looked fine, and we frosted them, but they just didn't taste the same, so i took another day to make them all over again, this time succeeding in a better taste. we blamed it on the weather :)
Post a Comment