Contributors

Saturday, May 28, 2011

May 2011



Happy Birthday to Me!!! Happy Birthday to Me!!! Happy Birthday to Me!!!




Hi Friends, Last year at this time
I had just taken my very first vacation in China.
I spent my 30th birthday in Dali with a good friend.




I like to look back over my last year of my life when I am celebrating a birthday and thought I would lay out some lows and highs of my 30th year for you!!

-LOWS-
School progress feels regressed.




I know in previous notes I have mentioned the fact that my last semester of school was not very productive to my learning and I have now changed some details of my schooling. But for a period of four months I really felt like I was drowning in language studies.



Christmas was harder than last year.





Last year’s Christmas was my first Christmas away from friends and family so everything was new and different-this past year was harder for me because I was realizing that me being away from family at holidays is not something new but soon to be a way of life.


A close friend left Kunming for good.


My closest friend in Kunming went back to the States at the end of November with no plans to return. Now, I look forward to seeing her when I on Home Assignment.

A close friends had a miscarriage.
One of my close friends had been trying to conceive and did but then lost the baby. This was very difficult to be included in but I felt privileged and thankful that our friendship is that close and real. PTL they now are pregnant again. Please ask for safety of the little one.


-HIGHS-
Being a part of my brother’s wedding and holding my nephew for the first time.



This provided me a brief reprieve from China and allowed me to be a part of a very exciting and important event in my family’s journey. Needless to say it let me spoil Henry just a little as well.




Having a visit from my friend Jill.



Jill’s visit allowed me to see China again with new eyes and appreciate once more all the little quirks. Jill also brought with her many lovely notes and gifts from all of you at home and those were very encouraging.

Going on a well digging trip and visiting the leprosy clinic.



These two trips into the villages refreshed in me the true reason I am here and learning Chinese. Being with the villagers also awakened in me the desire to learn how to do Ethnographic Research.



Meeting and Spending time with Teammates from Beijing, Shanghai, Taiwan, and Taiyuan.
Our Company has teams in all four of those cities as well as where I am and it was really great to get to hear what is being done in those places as well as get to know some of the people who live there better. You can click on the above link to see pictures of that time.


I have been able to look over my life as a whole and see the hand of our Heavenly Father pulling me and shaping me into a different person.
This is weird.
I know that my plans are not always His plans but I want our plans to merge into the same plan. I am excited to see where this plan comes from and where it leads. What I do know is that as I accomplish it I intend to give all Glory to Him who sits on the Throne in Heaven.
So, despite all the hard times this past year-which really were not that hard-and because of the good times I want to Thank Him for this life He is leading me in and Praise Him for bringing me this far. Please stay tuned to the ways my plans and His plans unite in the future. At this time I have yet to know, but I go forth-“Praying for the Merge!!”




I intend to come back to the States in December of 2011 through February of 2012 for my Home Assignment. For the month of December I think I will be mostly in South Dakota, but after that doing some traveling to various places. I look forward to talking to many of you about these past two years, changes to my personal life, as well as changes in my bigger picture. You are all so wonderful and I hope that there will be opportunity to see you all, so as I begin to arrange this trip home, please send me an email with dates and such so that I can plan ahead.


Love, Denise



No comments: