So in my pursuit of Medical Mandarin I have discovered a highly disturbing fact. Most Chinese Medicine includes insects. This enlightenment has cemented the fact that I never need to subject myself to taking Chinese medication.
I stopped at the local Chinese Medicine Clinic yesterday to look into their numerous brown bags and what did I see?
Cicadas. After we moved away from the counter neither my friend nor I could recall if they were just the skins or if it was the whole thing.
We asked the woman mixing the mixture (of herbs, nuts, flowers, furry items, and white balls) how you eat this kind of medicine. She said that you boil it and then drink it. After an extended conversation with my language helper and friend I learned that they will grind the insects up with everything else in that pile of mystery and then you will put it in your tea and drink it.
In this same conversation Ruth Anna assured me that cicadas are only the beginning for bugs/insects/creepy crawlers in medication. Grasshoppers, Scorpions, Millipedes, Spiders, and Earthworms are all part of the giant modpodge that makes up Chinese medicine.
Chan tui is the name of the medicine created using Cicadas. If you want to read in-depth on the ins and outs of the philosophy of how cicadas can be a healthy life choice click on: Chan tui. I will give a brief over view here. Cicadas are a cold substance. I am still trying to determine the logic behind what is cold and what is hot. It is supposedly good for the liver and the lungs. Some of the highlights of its medicinal attributes are: reduces fever, relieves restless sleep or nightmares, antispasmodic, and treats rashes and eye issues such as-cataracts, pink eye, or blurred vision. The only problem associated with taking cicada treatment seems to be possible miscarriage.
All in all Chinese Medicine is still very interesting but slightly strange and there is no way I intend to eat cicada.
I stopped at the local Chinese Medicine Clinic yesterday to look into their numerous brown bags and what did I see?
Cicadas. After we moved away from the counter neither my friend nor I could recall if they were just the skins or if it was the whole thing.
We asked the woman mixing the mixture (of herbs, nuts, flowers, furry items, and white balls) how you eat this kind of medicine. She said that you boil it and then drink it. After an extended conversation with my language helper and friend I learned that they will grind the insects up with everything else in that pile of mystery and then you will put it in your tea and drink it.
In this same conversation Ruth Anna assured me that cicadas are only the beginning for bugs/insects/creepy crawlers in medication. Grasshoppers, Scorpions, Millipedes, Spiders, and Earthworms are all part of the giant modpodge that makes up Chinese medicine.
Chan tui is the name of the medicine created using Cicadas. If you want to read in-depth on the ins and outs of the philosophy of how cicadas can be a healthy life choice click on: Chan tui. I will give a brief over view here. Cicadas are a cold substance. I am still trying to determine the logic behind what is cold and what is hot. It is supposedly good for the liver and the lungs. Some of the highlights of its medicinal attributes are: reduces fever, relieves restless sleep or nightmares, antispasmodic, and treats rashes and eye issues such as-cataracts, pink eye, or blurred vision. The only problem associated with taking cicada treatment seems to be possible miscarriage.
All in all Chinese Medicine is still very interesting but slightly strange and there is no way I intend to eat cicada.
2 comments:
My friend broke his arm while we were visiting some tribal people in the mountains there. The local herbalist mixed up a bunch of packets of brown powder for him to treat the pain and inflammation. In the "doctor's" broken Mandarin he told us "mix with hot water. Three times each day." Later that evening, our friend expressed gastric distress. We then determined the potion was a poultice. Not tea! Knowing a local dialect can be helpful.
Shoot, you don't intend to eat cicada???? I was going to save some that I found here for you in case you got ill while home later on...hmmm, I guess i won't need to now. Quite interesting...more reasons to petition for good health,restful nights,and clear vision...
Post a Comment