Hi. It has been a while since I talked with you all. I have learned a lot since I have been back in China. I want to share some of what I have learned. But in order to share I am going to post one or two or three posts.
I know that many people use a pro and con list when making hard decisions. I have used this method a time or two but it actually doesn't top my list of helps when having to make a difficult choice. If you have read my previous post titled Future Assignment you would know the huge and varying options I have on my plate.
So I have been in what I thought would be a very long process of elimination with each of these work opportunities. So with out further ado here we go.
Before I get into the details, I have to tell you about one little thing that influenced lots of medical work here. The NGO, we will call Real Hope, that does and envelopes most of the medical work here in Kunming is going through a lot of changes. Their CEO's or higher ups or Western country representative are making some changes that involve funding only being given to certain kinds of projects. So, even though I do not know all the details, I have heard lots of concerns from people who currently work with them. Plus, I went to their company retreat to help with their youth program earlier this month and felt that those who were working with Real Hope were guarded to the inth degree. I did not feel welcomed or encouraged to want to explore being a part of their family. So lets look at what my options look like.
1. The doctor that goes to a different area of Yunnan and brings patients back to Kunming, his offer still stands and I plan to go and see his work at a future date. He is part of Real Hope.
2. The other doctor who runs the clinic in the north of Yunnan and had offered to let me come and see the work that he does up there, had not returned any of my attempts to contact him since I have been back. He also works for Real Hope.
3. The group that does out reach to the sex workers and mafia members has asked me to work on a program that would give sex ed and a moral relationship building education as well as encourage teens to have a healthy self image and self value. This program will also talk to a small degree about the dangers of trafficking and how to be safe conscious. I have accepted this role. So, I will be going to Vietnam in May to attend a training conference on these topics. This option requires the most comment because there is so much to say.
So in March when I first sat down with the director of this ministry I was impressed with the leadership and the organization's growth. When the director told me that the current two major needs were someone to organize their medical records and someone to put together and then lead an educational program for high school age teens all over Yunnan, I felt overwhelmed and in fact my first response was-I am not organized and I have never put together an educational program. When I shared this with her, she said that she had never started a company before either but if it was Father's plan He equips us.
So, I began to go to their jewelry shop and sit and talk with the girls as they assembled the jewelry. They are so lovely. I have felt very welcomed there. So as I have been talking to Father about the needs of the organization and the girls, I was able to sit in on one of the bimonthly health checks and witnessed the disaster that is their health assessment forms. I got to thinking about how easy a health history is if you have a good and thorough form. I began to google all the various forms I could find online. I sent emails out to former co-workers and am in the process of melding all these forms into one that addresses the needs of this ministry.
Then I recalled that my friends Rob and Joy used to be a part of the educational program called Wait Training-a program very similar to what the Director wants. So I contacted them to find out what curriculum was used in that program and was directed to their website which lists the dates of their training conferences. Gradually over four weeks I began to see that the tasks which originally seemed impossible and unaccomplishable by me (at least) were not as difficult as at first glance.
Last week I went and talked to the director about my feelings and told her that I was willing to get trained when I was next in the States. she informed me that the curriculum that they were looking at was one that was started in Australia and has already been translated into Chinese. She offered to send me to the conference if I would consider committing to being the foreigner involved in educating.
I went home and talked to Father for four days. I also talked to my family-both here in China, at home in the USA, and my faith family in the States. No one on this side of the ocean who were familar with the organization and director had any reservations, Everyone on both sides of the ocean felt like this opportunity is amazing as well as uses all my gifts and experiences. So, when I went back to the work shop this Monday I told the director that I was IN!!!!!!!
Your talks to Father and mine have been answered for the doors closed and the doors opened.
4. The Reconstructive Surgery Clinic: doesn't need any assistance right at this moment and the next time they do need help I will not be available. There are already two Chinese nurses that work there as well as a Doctor and between the three of them the daily needs of the clinic are covered. The only time they really need additional help is after a surgery clinic when they have additional patients. When I asked them about their current or future plans to do village visits they said that looks to be very seldom.This clinic is run by Real Hope.
5. The HIV research team down south in Yunnan have been open to me coming down and checking out their work. This project is run by Real Hope.
6. The medical team member who works for CWEF has also been unable to be reached.
Although, much of this information that I am sharing with you has been learned through spending time with people and listening as well as sharing. Some of my certainty about this future endeavor didn't come from information or research or pros and cons but instead from the spirit given to me from above.
I have been spending lots of time reading in the first two books of Father's Word and what I have learned is that Moses himself was given a task that was virtually impossible but with Father's help he succeeded. But Moses had a small task force to help him. His brother Aaron was his mouth piece, his sister Miriam was his friend, and I assume that his wife was his cheerleader.
Father has given me these things too. Xi Cui will be my team mate and translator, Amber will be my close friend, and my dear supporters, You will be my encourager. Thank you for all your thoughts for me.
3 comments:
It is fascinating to follow you through this process. It will be very exciting to hear the ongoing reports of how this works out for you. I think you have heeded your Father's direction very well!
So exciting, Denise!! :) Can't wait to read more!
I am in tears...so happy! Father is so good ~ all the time! You are dearly in my thoughts! Mom
Post a Comment