Since the last time I updated you a lot of things have happened, in April, we went to the same school twice with plans to go another time before testing in June. This school has been very open to us so we are keen to continue going there, teaching more and more students. Our hope is to build a solid relationship so that every year we can teach their students.
Last time, one student asked me a difficult question. This question puts the Chinese student dilemma into a larger perspective. He asked me: The upcoming tests we take in June will tell us whether we can go to high school and beyond. How is my life valuable if I don’t pass my test and cannot go on to high school? What do I do with my life? China’s school system is complicated and the hard fact is, unless you have money, the only way to advance to high school is by your test grades. Some kids are not equipped to pass tests--without a high school education, future options are limited.
These questions speak to the heart of every kid wanting to do their best but knowing that they have limitations. Realizing those limitations will affect their futures. I had just finished telling them that their future and their dreams were important and if they worked hard enough and believed enough in them then they could accomplish them. Is this true? I reminded them that how the world defines significance is in making money. I told them that if you have lots of money but are not happy or satisfied inside--what kind of a life is that. On the other hand, the man who has little education but who is a handy man and comes to my home regularly to help me and to fix things, may not be rich or “successful” in anyone’s eyes but he is blessing my life and he is happy to bless others by helping them in little ways. He is always full of joy and has kind words for those he works for. I know he is a success. There are lots of ways to make a living that blesses others as well as brings satisfaction.
It was hard to answer. But I hope that I was able to influence that class in regards to what is a significant life.
I love speaking into young lives and giving them deep truths regarding what is significant, but at times it is also hard. Please continue to lift me up, asking for wisdom and for the students and teachers stuck in this system. I would also ask that the hearts and minds of both students and teachers would be affected by the new ideas that I present and begin to view their world in slightly different ways. Thank you so very much for your support and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment