September 15, 2009 was the day, seven years ago, I arrived in Kunming. It was a day filled with expectations and hopes. The Kunming I landed in and the person who flew into Kunming are both very different today. I thought that is would be fun to look back and ponder the ways we have all changed.
C-H-I-N-A-V-E-R-S-A-R-Y
Construction: With a subway under way and old areas under construction, the landscape is rapidly changing. Ask that as old buildings are removed that this would prepare hearts to hear the good news.
Home: Moving from a sixth floor apartment to a first floor apartment, my life is more seen by my neighbors. Ask that I may be a witness that testifies to all that my Father has done for me and gives off a fragrant scent to my neighbors.
Imports: Today, I saw a man on the street selling blueberries. Seven years ago, the prospect of finding blueberries was unlikely. All around me are changes like this. As western items are brought in to be sold, I ask that when the newness of the news of grace is brought into lives that it would also be welcome.
Need: I truly believe that Father doesn't need me to be here, but I have come to realize that because I have chosen to join His work here that I have grown in my need for Him. I ask that when and if you join in what Father is doing around you that you will also find more of who you were made to be as well as more of Him.
Academics: Moving from only studying to teaching as well as studying. Teaching both national students as I talk with them about how to make good choices and avoid being trafficked as well as expat students as I teach them Biology. Ask that I might continue to learn from the people around me but that I may also be a clear and truth bearing instructor.
Vision: I came to help leprosy affected people and that changed to working with women who had escaped sex trafficking and now I work mostly with youth-educating them how to avoid being trafficked. Ask Father to continue to make his direction clear.
Relationships: In 2009, most of my friends were single women. I was privileged to start a youngish single women's small group. But as the years have progressed, many of those women have either returned home, gotten married, or moved to more remote areas. Please life them and what Father is doing in them up. These days, most of my friends are married women. I have learned a lot from them. Please life up women and families on the field. Especially, lift up their marriages and the stresses that are on them. Also, spend some time lifting up your own relationships.
Supervisor: Moving into leadership roles. I am now the supervisor of a small team as we work on the trafficking prevention work. I have also been on the Permeate Planning team in the past but this upcoming year I will be heading the team up. Thankfully there will be others working on it with me but I will be leading meetings and delegating. Please keep this leadership aspect of my life in your petitions.
Adjustable: In 2009, I had no idea the amount of flexibility and molding I would be subject to. I am thankful that I am less rigid and unchanging than I was before. China has a way of breaking you down. I have gotten used to it and I am able to go with the flow much more easily. Thank Father for His patience with you and with me and thank Him for the sanctification that you can see in your own life.
Romance: Over the past four years, Father has really been speaking and teaching me about romance. I have learned that He desires me to long for Him more than I long for an earthly mate. I learned that I can trust Him in my singleness, He knows my heart, He sees my hopes. I learned that I love Him more than my wishes of a family and a husband. I have been adventurous and brave as I have followed Him through open doors that closed. He has given me peace in the place where I am at. I am dating a wonderful man and I cling to Jesus now as things seem to be moving towards a wedding and life together. Please ask that Father would make things abundantly clear to both Luke and I as we journey forward. That He would help us to be filled with the fruit of the Spirit and that we would choose daily to exercise them toward each other and to those around us.
Yoke: The team that I joined in 2009 was a much larger. My team has lost many members over the seven year. It has been a harder aspect of living here than I had anticipated. I had not predicted that those people would come and go. My team is now only one family and myself. Unless Father directs me differently before December, I will also be joining a second team, Luke's team. One of the exciting things about joining another team is the connections and networking possibilities that are available. Luke's team is working with a language subset where there are no know people who believe in the good work and life change that Father and His Son can do. I would be a part of supporting that kind of work. Lift up those doing language work as well as building relationships.
Thank you for celebrating my CHINAVERSARY with me!
Home: Moving from a sixth floor apartment to a first floor apartment, my life is more seen by my neighbors. Ask that I may be a witness that testifies to all that my Father has done for me and gives off a fragrant scent to my neighbors.
Imports: Today, I saw a man on the street selling blueberries. Seven years ago, the prospect of finding blueberries was unlikely. All around me are changes like this. As western items are brought in to be sold, I ask that when the newness of the news of grace is brought into lives that it would also be welcome.
Need: I truly believe that Father doesn't need me to be here, but I have come to realize that because I have chosen to join His work here that I have grown in my need for Him. I ask that when and if you join in what Father is doing around you that you will also find more of who you were made to be as well as more of Him.
Academics: Moving from only studying to teaching as well as studying. Teaching both national students as I talk with them about how to make good choices and avoid being trafficked as well as expat students as I teach them Biology. Ask that I might continue to learn from the people around me but that I may also be a clear and truth bearing instructor.
Vision: I came to help leprosy affected people and that changed to working with women who had escaped sex trafficking and now I work mostly with youth-educating them how to avoid being trafficked. Ask Father to continue to make his direction clear.
Relationships: In 2009, most of my friends were single women. I was privileged to start a youngish single women's small group. But as the years have progressed, many of those women have either returned home, gotten married, or moved to more remote areas. Please life them and what Father is doing in them up. These days, most of my friends are married women. I have learned a lot from them. Please life up women and families on the field. Especially, lift up their marriages and the stresses that are on them. Also, spend some time lifting up your own relationships.
Supervisor: Moving into leadership roles. I am now the supervisor of a small team as we work on the trafficking prevention work. I have also been on the Permeate Planning team in the past but this upcoming year I will be heading the team up. Thankfully there will be others working on it with me but I will be leading meetings and delegating. Please keep this leadership aspect of my life in your petitions.
Adjustable: In 2009, I had no idea the amount of flexibility and molding I would be subject to. I am thankful that I am less rigid and unchanging than I was before. China has a way of breaking you down. I have gotten used to it and I am able to go with the flow much more easily. Thank Father for His patience with you and with me and thank Him for the sanctification that you can see in your own life.
Romance: Over the past four years, Father has really been speaking and teaching me about romance. I have learned that He desires me to long for Him more than I long for an earthly mate. I learned that I can trust Him in my singleness, He knows my heart, He sees my hopes. I learned that I love Him more than my wishes of a family and a husband. I have been adventurous and brave as I have followed Him through open doors that closed. He has given me peace in the place where I am at. I am dating a wonderful man and I cling to Jesus now as things seem to be moving towards a wedding and life together. Please ask that Father would make things abundantly clear to both Luke and I as we journey forward. That He would help us to be filled with the fruit of the Spirit and that we would choose daily to exercise them toward each other and to those around us.
Yoke: The team that I joined in 2009 was a much larger. My team has lost many members over the seven year. It has been a harder aspect of living here than I had anticipated. I had not predicted that those people would come and go. My team is now only one family and myself. Unless Father directs me differently before December, I will also be joining a second team, Luke's team. One of the exciting things about joining another team is the connections and networking possibilities that are available. Luke's team is working with a language subset where there are no know people who believe in the good work and life change that Father and His Son can do. I would be a part of supporting that kind of work. Lift up those doing language work as well as building relationships.
Thank you for celebrating my CHINAVERSARY with me!

No comments:
Post a Comment