Contributors

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Weirdness Come to Life!!

So, I put up my little Christmas tree last week and it is so sparkly and happy and bright. I know that many of you have huge, beautiful, real Christmas trees and I am so very happy for you. Each ornament I placed on the tree had special significance to me. Most of them were from my parents. But some of them were gifted to me from very dear friends. As each one found it's own little resting place the tree became less and less a tree and more and more a reminder to me of how wonderful life is and how beautiful each one of us is to make our life, by adding our own little characteristics to what would be an ordinary life. Our little quirks and idiosyncrasisms are God's way of making each one of us special and beautiful. I am so very blessed to know so many weird and lovely people and I know that it is because of the weirdness around me that makes me happy.

Yesterday, I was walking down this little street and two little girls were standing on the side of it and as I got nearer to them one of them said hello to me. This of course is not an unlikely thing to happen to me, but this day it tickled me pink and so I said hello back and I smiled to them in my best friend smile. I continued to walk and when I got about ten paces past them I turned around and both girls were giggling and still watching me, so I waved and both little girls smiled and covered their enormous grins with their hands and as I turned back to continue on my journey all I could be was happy. Each of us giving a bit of brightness into the others life-but this would never have happened if we hadn't let in or out our weirdness.

Think back over your life and picture those you love the most the ones who have placed superior knowledge into your mind, the ones who have made you laugh so hard you almost peed your pants or had food squirt out your nose, what about the ones who know you so well they can tell when you are not doing well just by looking at you, or the individuals who you don't really know very well but stick out in your memories as one who knew who he was, and lastly those who made you realize that you were not insignificant. Each group made a very important impact in your life and why was that? Because they embraced what was special and let it out into the world to make it a better place.

Just like my little metalic green pickle ornament, it is special not only because it is a pickle and those are my favorite food but also because of the weirdness of it and because it was given to me by one of my favorite people, it has character and makes my tree a more beautiful species because it is hanging there.

Or take my tree topper, possibly the most simple of all tree toppers, a star cut out of cardboard and wrapped in smooth tin foil. WEIRD right? But I will let you in on a little family secret, we have always topped our Christmas trees with tinfoil covered stars. They are beautiful, in such a simple way. Every year my daddy writes the year on the back and every year my momma says that we should get a new topper. We always disagree about it and daddy always places the star in its rightful place. Our family star was made my my daddy and so was mine. My star is much smaller than our family's but it suits my tiny little tree just fine.

I am thankful for the weirdness of my Christmas tree and the things that it reveals about me, my family, and what is important to me. I am proud to exhibit my weirdness here in China. Where everyone values the ideal of being exactly like everyone else. But although there is something to be said for the ideal and value of conformity I must say that what my heart desires is to be known in all my uniqueness, even if it is weird. Because I know that the one who made me this different is pleased with my little weird bits and He wants me to live joyfully.

I was once accused of hiding myself from the world and although the bleakness the world often exhibits can be quite daunting I hope that in my desire to make each day I live in a more beautiful thing that I embrace the bleakness and instead of hiding from it I give my all to it.

May that be Chinese classes, volunteering at the rehab clinic, or interacting with the neighborhood children-my all.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

What a "weird" blog! I loved it! in my own "weird" way! miss you so. mom

PegS said...

I love being reminded of unique weirdness, too. Can't help but be just that when working with middle school students. And those poor kids just want to be special without being weird. But seriously, I'm glad that you are not listening to those "failure" words that jump into our minds (we both know the source of them!). It reminds me of what Luna said to Harry Potter, that that's exactly what the Dark Lord wants us to think; that we are alone and useless to Father. NOT TRUE! So rejoice in what you have experienced and are learning. Some day you might get to look back and say, Oh, now I get it! Seasons best to you!

Nikki Moore said...

What a wonderful and beautiful blog. It is a great essay all on its own. I love the funny story of your dad making tinfoil stars and your mom always saying you should get a new one. :) It is the weirdness that makes things special. And I love to think about the tree as a collection of memories and things that make us ourselves. Really good blog -- thank you.

jnet said...

mike's mom hides her pickle ornament in the tree and every year the kids have to find it and a prize is given to the first to find the hidden pickle. see, we are weird too :)