
The new thing that I have recently learned about having a year that belongs to you is that when it is your animal year the custom is to wear red every day of the year. Sometimes this custom is only associated with certain age groups depending on what part of China you live in. This custom could be very difficult for some people. Although most people may not have enough red articles of clothing to wear something red everyday of the year, I know that for Nebraskans it shouldn't be hard at all!!! For those of you who are not from or live in Nebraska the Chinese have come up with the perfect solution. RED UNDERWEAR!!
In December and January the streets and shops were filled with them. To an extreme level that I asked someone about it and discovered that they sell so many red underwears (both men and women) so that those who are supposed to wear red everyday can. My favorite part of this story is that the packages of the red underwear actually had pictures of bunnies on them just to make everyone aware that it was for the year of the rabbit!!!

One of the things I find most interesting about the Chinese Zodiac Calendar is that when someone asks me what animal I am and I tell them I am a monkey, they just know that I will get along with someone who is a dragon or a rat. For example: My friend asked me what year I was and I told her monkey and her arms flew up into the air in surprise and excitement as she exclaimed "That is why we get along so well!! I am a Rat!!" I on the other hand still have no idea who goes with who or even what my personality is supposed to be like according to the Monkey. Sigh. Somethings are just over our heads.
Sources: http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/Rabbit.html, http://gochina.about.com/od/chinesenewyear/qt/RedUnderwear.htm


1 comment:
Denise, I think I'm a monkey too! lol You have been much on my mind lately so have been talking to Father often. I missed that you had posted these, so glad I found them! The New Year kind of explained why I've been thinking of you so much. Love you, sista mon-kee.
Post a Comment