Contributors

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August Newsletter!!


What is new with Denise? Funny you should ask that for I have been wondering the same thing. She feels like life is just marching on along. But there are some very fabulous things going on in her life. Her trip to Colorado in May was exciting but she still doesn’t know what to do with the education and information she received, the month of June she started to study Medical Mandarin, July looks to be full, very full, of school work, and August holds the second annual Yunnan Wai Guo Ren State Fair and the reuniting of her entire team. So much to talk about and so much to look forward to.

Colorado was so beautiful and it snowed while I was there. I learned about the slow but rewarding process of ethnographic research. Research has always been a big part of Our Company. It really took off when we were apart of the DAWN movement in 1985 in the Philippines to discover where the national fellowships were and areas where there is no fellowships. I learned about mapping technology with gmi.org and how they were a part of the Operation World movement and I got to meet the entire staff of Joshua Project. I got to hear about what Our Company is involved in scattered through out the world. Which was so exciting. A little overwhelming because this kind of research is difficult to do in China. It is a little difficult to even tell you all about this from here. So, if any of this intrigues you please check out the above organizations via the web.

While I was in the United States for this conference I flew to Chicago to see my family. It was really good to spend four days with them. The two best parts of this short part of the trip was when I first stepped foot in Ben and Molly’s home and Henry rushed me for a hug and the baby shower I got to attend for Ben and Molly. I got to take Henry to the park “just the two of us” and all 6 of us went to the Chicago Children’s Museum. There is just something magic in being with your nephew.

Medical Mandarin is not easy. It is very exciting but if you thought it was hard to remember what a fenestration was in English imagine how much harder it is to remember 开窗术 (kai chuang shu). In reality I am pretty far from learning these words yet. I am still trying to master doctor examining room-医师诊疗室 (yi shi zhen liao shi). I have had some really interesting discussions with my teacher about eastern versus western medicine as well as the pharmaceutical laws of China. And today (6/22/11) I gave my teacher an anatomy lesson.

July only holds study, study, and more study. I will have regular Chinese class from 8-10 on Monday through Thursday and then from 1-3 on Monday Wednesday and Friday I have Medical Mandarin and then from 3:30-5:30 on Tuesday and Thursday I have a third language lesson. Therefore, I look forward to August when my team leaders return and I can sit down with them and discuss both my work options as well as my language skills. I fully anticipate that my language skills are not as advanced as they need to be. Hopefully I will also be able to get my feet wet in some sort of medical context. August also holds the exciting event of the second annual Yunnan Wai Guo Ren State Fair. Where all of the foreigner students from my school get together and pretend to be at a State Fair at home. Last year I took home second place prize for the largest vegetable.

Thank you all for your thoughts and your care for me. Love, Denise

No comments: