Contributors

Monday, October 12, 2009

House Hold Appliances!!!

It is a red letter day!! I took the bus to my apartment this morning around 7:30am. I let the cleaners in at 9:30am-which I would like to make a side note about. The painter painted on Friday and it was him and his wife for three bedrooms, kitchen, living room plus all the ceilings and they had it done in one day-they started around 9am and by 6pm they were finished. The cleaners are a husband and wife team and they had a HUGE job in front of them and they expect to be done by 8pm. American's would never work this hard.

Okay, so after I had a brief dilemma dealing with the water and the lack of a functioning toilet-which everything was resolved in a timely manner and the toilet should be a-okay now. April and I went large appliance shopping. Yay!!! I wish that I had been thinking because I would have taken pictures for you...but I didn't, sorry.

We first came to the stove top appliances and oh the choices. There are infrared ones and just electric ones. The differences is that the electric ones can only be used with iron pots and pans. The infrared ones can be any kind of pans. The infrared do not heat as quickly and cost much more. Being as I have no pans or pots at this time I opted to get the regular one and just make sure that they have iron. If and when I need another kind of stove burner I will get one at that time. :)
When I bought my stove burner I got as a special gift two pots, a teapot, and.....wait for it....a pressure cooker. Wow....ooooo...ahhhhh!!

Second, the friges. It was imperative that I find one that I could stick magnets on-however there is no refrigerator culture here where they stick things to the frige-so it was pretty impossible to explain to the sales lady what I was looking for...April said that every one they have had was magnetic. So I bought a white one that has 135 in the refrige part and 75 in the freezer part. Don't ask me what unit of measurement it was because I do not know. I am very excited to hang people on it. :)

Third, my washer. This is my favorite one. I got an LG-(2002 northpark beijing team)front loading washing machine. April said that the top loading washers here are worthless-like just putting your clothes in plain water. My shiny silver LG(NPU 2002) has English and Chinese characters. It hold 6.5kg of clothing and I get to tell it how fast or slow to spin. It can spin as fast as 900 spins a min. Isn't that CRAZY!!!

Who knew that house hold appliances could be so exciting!!! The great part about it all is that every single item was on sale. The refrigerator would have been even more on sale if I could have shown that I was a Chinese rural farmer, however,that proved difficult to verify. So I only got the somewhat on sale price. :)

Then as I was walking home from the bus stop through the park next to Ruth's home there was a five piece band made with traditional Chinese instruments playing and there was this really old man singing what sounded like opera. It made my day. So I skipped and pranced the rest of the way home.

Thank you all for being a part of this day!!

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

How Wonderful!! Your dad will be so proud of you for getting them on "sale"! However, i'm sure he would have expected you to somehow convinced the salesperson that you were a Chinese rural farmer! :) I love the band and it's effect on my daughter!!! Wish i could have been there with you! What joy!! Once again i am reminded of the simple things in life are what make it lovely!! All my hugs, Mom

natalie said...

i love that it made you skip and prance:) everything's more fun with denise!!

PegS said...

Sounds like an awesome start to your week!! So very glad for you. And you should have had someone else take pics of you skipping and prancing, was it?? Now that is a picture in my brain! I'm wearing my bracelet and think of you often.

Amanda Sue said...

I didn't hear you mention a dryer....Did you test the washer for durability yet?!? LOL, by the way I am loving that you are excited about appliances. You are all grown up *tear* Now that you have a fridge I really need to get my butt in gear and send you my house warming gift (that was a hint). By the way, how lucky are you to have all these workers come in and do all the hard work for you. Remember all the time we spent painting my kitchen!!! Oh my, where were those people then. I am however wondering if I have you beat on the number of colors used in your appartment vs how many I have in mine...hum. CONTEST! Love you, miss you.

jnet said...

i love keeping up with you denise. i miss your smile, share it with those around you.

Nikki Moore said...

i LOVE that you had to get a fridge with magnetic surfacing...and the part about not being a chinese farmer. it's great fun to read your blogs! sounds like things are coming together!

-nikki