Contributors

Sunday, October 25, 2009

October Update Note!!

Ni Hao!
I had my one month anniversary on Oct 15th!!! I am so thankful to have lasted that long. I have not had any major break downs or homesickness. I haven’t been sick-so I am still waiting for the nausea and vomiting to hit any day. Which I hope is not this week because I start school tomorrow. I recognize that I have been living in a state of alarm, since I arrived. At all times I am poised to react in some adrenalin filled way. This way of living is very exhausting.

I discovered today that I am sharing my new apartment with a rodent. This almost pushed me over the edge of emotional stress and divine dependence. I am confident that tomorrow the construction crew will find the hole where it came in from and patch it and everything will be all well, but in the mean time I do not feel comfortable eating in my home. So I went out for dinner and struggled to find a place to eat. I went to the first place and there was a wait of who knows how long so I left. The second place was closed and at that point I just went to the convenience store and bought a disposable bowl of noodles.

SO, here I am sitting on my bed eating my disposable bowl of noodles, pb sandwich, and writing to you. At this moment I am discouraged that there is going to be a construction crew taking apart my kitchen in the morning to find the source of the mouse/rat in my home. But on the bright side if the crew finds the hole and fills it I will perhaps get new better cupboards and counters.

I miss my friends and family. I am greatly learning to love and trust my team here, but to have people around you that know some of your deep history and have built integral relationship based on and in spite of that history are so precious. I think that your continual interest and support is encouraging and inspiring. Thank you.

Here are my lessons from these last two weeks: Riding on the street is less hazardous that on the sidewalk despite appearances, cucumber flavored potato chips are delicious, new light fixtures can really make a big difference in light quality, there is a law in Singapore forbidding chewing gum, Walmart doesn’t sell matches or any fire producing accessory, it takes 2 weeks to have furniture delivered, I should not wash a wok with soap and water, and finally to order food to go you say dau bau.
Please continue to lift me up in your prayers. As my life continues here I don’t envision that it will become less complicated.
Love you,
Denise
P.S. My bowl of noodles was delicious. :)

8 comments:

PegS said...

Denise, so glad for the update. As you write of trying to order take-out, I remember when we were stationed in Germany and had to learn how to order food when we went out! We learned our numbers 1-4 very well. And I sympathize with the "room mate" issue. Never fear, they don't like you more than you don't like them. Thinking of you often.

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you, friend!! It sounds like you are doing well :). I sincerely hope you can rid yourself of your new "room mate!" Ick ick ick!!! Thinking about you...and can't wait to hear about school!

Nikki Moore said...

hope the carpenters get rid of Templeton and that you can have nice cozy meals in your kitchen again! ;) i love your updates and emails - we pray for you often. -nikki

Merrill & Jennifer Friesen said...

Denise - your updates are soooo good to hear and so funny too! I'm glad you enjoyed your noodles. :) Hopefully your little furry friend will be gone soon!
It sounds like you are settling in really well. I am so proud of you and happy for you.
Love ya!
JF

natalie said...

denise, i want to hear more about your school! what and how did you choose? what's your schedule like? excited to hear how your classes go!

Brita said...

An unexpected roommate!! Oh, there is nothing like getting acclimated to the culture through various ways!! Keep your perspective & humor!

Queen Bee said...

Oh Denise, I love your updates!!! I miss you too & hope that you continue to get used to life in China. There's always a learning curve, but you sound like you're doing great!! I hope that they get rid of the mouse/rat & that you get new cupboards soon. Love you.

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Denise! I hope the people found the rat and closed the hole up. I hope you don't get sick. We talked about you and prayed for you this week for Sparks, and we hope you get used to seaweed. Love, Evan Parker

Hi Miss Denise! I like cucumbers a lot and would like to try those cucumber chips you had. Yummy! Love, Levi Parker