Contributors

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thousand Year Old Jell-O Jigglers!!

So this week in class I am learning about meat dishes. How to order them at the restaurant and how to buy it at the market. This led to eggs. I asked my teacher what were the eggs that were covered in mud at the market and she didn’t know….so my homework was to bring mud eggs to class. So I did. They are called song hua dan. Usually they are duck eggs prepared a certain way. Du lao shi (teacher Du) was unable to completely describe the process but she did know that the mud is specially made for the eggs and consists of salt at least. She said that the eggs are packed in the mud and then either put into a pot and put away for two months or are buried in the ground for two months. Then they are removed and sold at the market. One of my teammates said that they are was Westerners call the Thousand year old egg. Anyway, I have prepared some pictures so that you can see the process of opening one of these eggs and get to see the inside. I was brave and had one forth of one in class. It doesn’t taste bad. It tastes like a hardboiled egg. It was the jello like texture that really bothered me. Enjoy the slide show.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Denise. thanks for the "tour de egg & I!) Very informative. Also loved the laundry shot....lots of bright sun. Praying for you.....Tim & Joanne

Anonymous said...

I just saw a "bizzare Foods" episode that had those in it. Gross! Glad to see you are being adventurous.